Greenan Castle

AS Home

Greenan Castle on the south side of Ayr, can be visited by a 2 mile Beach side Walk from Ayr centre, or from a Car Park close to the Castle.

Greenan Castle Map  

Greenan Castle was built in 1603 for John Kennedy of Baltersan Castle, 10 miles southeast. The Kennedy's became the largest land owners in southwest Scotland, with over 10 Castles. Large Image

It is unclear if John Kennedy completely built this Castle, or extended a Castle that had already been built on this site.

All that is left is the main Tower, with the foundations of a larger Building next to the Tower. The area inland has a number of Mounds, thought to be where a small Village would have been built around the Castle.

It is also believed there would have been a wall around the Castle and Village. The Villagers would pay rent and fight for the owner of the Castle when required.

1766 - Thomas Kennedy, Earl of Cassillis, gained control of Greenan Castle, with the Castle from that time falling into disrepair, then abandoned.

The second image is from the Castle looking south to the Heads of Ayr Cliffs, a popular Walk, you can also walk past the Cliffs to Dunure 6 miles south. Large Image

The entrance to the Castle has been bricked up now as you are not supposed to enter for safety reasons.

Kennedy Castles in the Area

1200s - Dunure Castle was built 6 miles south of Greenan as the first Kennedy Castle in Ayrshire.

1300s - the earliest parts of Cassillis Castle / House were built 6 miles east of Greenan, becoming the main Kennedy seat.

1500s - Baltersan Castle was built for the Kennedy's 10 miles southeast of Greenan. Maybole Castle was also built around that time as their Town House, 1 mile north of Baltersan Castle.

1603 - Greenan Castle was built for John Kennedy of Baltersan Castle.

1700s - a Tower House at Culzean, 13 miles south of Greenan, was rebuilt into the largest Castle of the Kennedy's.

Greenan Castle Early History

The first recorded owners of Greenan were the Earls of Ross and Lords of the Isles.

1476 - King James IV punished the Earl of Ross for rebelling against him. The King then awarded the lands of Greenan to William Douglas, son of the Earl of Angus.

1603 - John Kennedy of Baltersan gained control of Greenan. It is unclear if he extended a Castle already on this site, or built Greenan Castle from scratch.

1766 - Thomas Kennedy of Cassillis took control of Greenan Castle, with the Castle soon falling into disrepair.

Kennedy Clan Information

AS Home
Greenan Castle Photos