Seamill & West
Kilbride are two villages next to
each other in Ayrshire, southwest
The villages are popular for the
beaches, meals at the hotel restaurants
by the beaches, two castles, seaside
walking route, and golf.
Seamill is next to the sea and West
The image top is of the beach on the
south side of Seamill, about 4 miles
north of the ferry port town of Ardrossan, with ferries running
all day to the Isle of
There are a number of car parks beside
the beach in this area and restaurants
with sea views.
The image second top is of the
Waterside Hotel, on the south side of
Seamill, with a popular large restaurant
next to the sea.
The image right is of Seamill Main
Street looking north, with the seaside
town of Largs being 8 miles further
The Hydro Hotel is situated in Seamill
centre right next to the beach. This is a
popular hotel for meals, holidays and
The beach at Seamill Hydro is right
next to the hotel gardens. There was a
wedding taking place when this image was
taken with guests enjoying the gardens,
beach, and views over the Arran
The image right is of West Kilbride
Golf Club, situated on the north side of
Seamill, west side of West Kilbride.
This is a popular links course right
next to the sea.
West Kilbride is inland from Seamill,
on the hillside. The image right is
looking down the Main Street.
The Image right is of the West
Kilbride Village Hall on the Main Street.
There are a few small shops in this area
Parish Church is situated at the
bottom of the Main Street. The church was
built in 1882.
The name West Kilbride is thought to
have come from St. Bride or Bridget, an
Irish virgin of the fifth century,
distinguished for her religious devotion.
It is believed early missionaries
established a cell in her honour. Records
seem to suggest there was a chapel in the
Seamill area in the 1100s.
Railway Station opened in 1887.
Trains run about one an hour, north to
Largs, south to Ardrossan and Kilwinning,
then from Kilwinning to Glasgow
West Kilbride Glen is situated at the
bottom of the Main Street. The glen is a
popular walk in the area.
Law Castle sits on the hillside above
West Kilbride, a few hundred yards up the
very steep and narrow road past the
Railway Station. The castle was built in
the 1400s for King James III's sister
Mary after she married Thomas Boyd, Earl of Arran.
An Englishman restored the castle in
the 1990s to serve as his family
Law Castle was acquired in the early
2000s to serve as a self catering holiday
let, and for weddings. www.lawcastle.com.
Portencross Castle is situated on the
north side of Seamill. This castle was
built on lands originally owned by the
Ross Clan, that supported John de Baliol
in the feuds with Robert the Bruce. After
Bruce defeated Baliol, he awarded these
lands to the Boyd's of Kilmarnock, that
fought on his side.
Robert Boyd built the castle in the
early 1400s to make use of the small
harbour. There is a seaside car park
close to the castle for picnics, visits
to the castle, and for the popular walk
along the shore.
The cliffs along the shore walk have
birds of prey nesting certain times of
the year, a popular place for wildlife
Signposts on the A78 road, less than
one mile north of Seamill, show the road
down to the castle. www.portencrosscastle.org.uk